Author Topic: Recommendation for First Rod Build  (Read 660 times)

Offline Eno

• Brim Bug
Recommendation for First Rod Build
« on: February 24, 2017, 10:07:32 PM »
Howdy. Would anyone be able to recommend a supplier or kit for a first attempt at rod building? I'm leaning toward fiberglass as a material because I like it, but am open to graphite, too.

I would like to build a 7' 3wt for my daughter...it will be her first fly rod. She loves fishing with my little 4wt, but the grip is too thick for her, and the length is too much for her to control. I'm thinking it will be easier for her to learn proper form with a shorter rod.

Many thanks for any suggestions.
Peace, y'all.

Offline Flydude

• Foam Spider
  • Thomas
Re: Recommendation for First Rod Build
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 03:30:29 AM »
Hi Eno,

In the past I have used Hook and Hackle, Barlow's, American Tackle, and Mud Hole. I found that it is worth the extra time to look at each supplier for the Kits they offer. Most of the time I did not order a Kit, but simply made a list of each specific item that I wanted for each rod.

Good luck and have fun, nothing like catching a fish on your own hand built rod using a hand tied fly. :bigsmile:
May the sun always shine and the wind be to your back, Thomas

Offline Eno

• Brim Bug
Re: Recommendation for First Rod Build
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 10:37:00 PM »
Hi Eno,

In the past I have used Hook and Hackle, Barlow's, American Tackle, and Mud Hole. I found that it is worth the extra time to look at each supplier for the Kits they offer. Most of the time I did not order a Kit, but simply made a list of each specific item that I wanted for each rod.

Good luck and have fun, nothing like catching a fish on your own hand built rod using a hand tied fly. :bigsmile:
Thanks for the list of suppliers, Flydude. I like the idea of making an inventory list and then just ordering the parts I want. One of the main points if this is customization, after all. Cheers.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Peace, y'all.