Author Topic: The South Carolina Low Country.  (Read 435 times)

Offline chunting

• Foam Spider
  • Cliff Huntington
The South Carolina Low Country.
« on: January 23, 2017, 08:26:16 AM »
Local Resident.

Grass carp.

Son wishing we had another day to fish.

These fellows will reduce your fly inventory in a hurry.

Love them copper nose.

Black crappie.

Not the biggest in the lake but more than worth the effort.

Red ear or shellcracker as they are known locally.

Fly of the day.  The bass, crappie and chain pickerel preferred white and the copper nose, red ear and grass carp olive or black.

Packed and heading home.

I switched back and too between a Sage XP 286 and Thomas and Thomas HS 802.  Both reels were Lamsons. 

Offline texanafield

• Brim Bug
  • Brian Davis
    • Texan Afield
Re: The South Carolina Low Country.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 09:48:49 PM »
Were those 6 species all caught in one day?
I wasn't born in Texas, but got here as soon as I moved.

Offline Flydude

• Foam Spider
  • Thomas
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 04:18:24 PM »
Looks like you'll had one heck of a day.
May the sun always shine and the wind be to your back, Thomas

Offline chunting

• Foam Spider
  • Cliff Huntington
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 11:25:24 PM »
I've been fishing this property since 1990, and I "once" caught six species in one day in the largest lake on the property, all from the bank.  The dam and one side of the lake had been cleaned up and it opened up a half mile or more of bank fishing.   All the planets were aligned that trip and the lake now no longer can be fished from the bank.  Nowadays I mostly trailer my Towee Calusa over but others have boats so its not hard to find a ride.  When I car-topped my Old Town Sport I kept in at the smaller lake which I always preferred.  The photo of the gator may or may not have been taken on the day I caught the six species.  That lake has been drained and re-stocked with Florida bass and is now reserved for clients my buddy entertains.  :(

The photo of my son looking out over the smaller lake was not taken on the trip I caught the six species.  My son-in-law was actually with me on that trip and took the photo of the grass carp and of me holding a bass caught from the road along the lake.  The chain pickerel was taken that day.  I'm pretty sure that 10 inch plus copper nose was taken that trip but cannot say the red ear and black crappie in the photos were actually caught that day but are representative of what I did catch.  Since, I generally catch bass, copper nose and black crappie but the other three species tend to be more elusive.