Author Topic: Float tubes, belly boats.  (Read 1024 times)

Offline chunting

• Foam Spider
  • Cliff Huntington
Float tubes, belly boats.
« on: January 03, 2017, 07:28:51 AM »
I began using a float tube in 1966 and used one until 1979 when I made my first move to Louisiana.  The only time I used a fly rod was on a handful of occasions for panfish during the 1960s with an old bamboo fly rod, but spent many hours paddling around with "commie tackle."  The tube provided access to water otherwise out of reach and a stealthily way to approach bass. 

Jack Ellis mentions tubes in his classic "Bassin' with a FLY ROD[1994].  Ellis' book is the best on the subject I've read.

I'm not sure I want to get back in one at 71 but am curious if others use a tube or belly boat these days.

Offline Flydude

• Popper
  • Thomas
Re: Float tubes, belly boats.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 10:22:57 AM »
Hi Cliff,

Like you, at my age today I’m not sure that I would be comfortable in a tube. Not sure exactly what year it was but I bought some heavy cloth and had my mother sew up a “saddle” to sit in a well used (many patches) truck tube. I used it in both fresh water and saltwater until sometime in the 80's. Carried that darn thing in the trunk of my car or behind the seat in my truck along with a tire pump and a fly rod and would stop and fish anywhere or anything that looked wet. And over the many years caught a lot of fish and had a lot of fun.
May the sun always shine and the wind be to your back, Thomas

Offline qualey99

• Foam Spider
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 02:04:27 PM »
Cliff,
I made my first tube float when I was 14, living on the bayou in Monroe, LA.  Just a board under a truck tube.  While in the Air Force, I purchased a real tube in the 70's and fished a lot of lakes in Texas and Oklahoma.  Now, I have 4 kayaks, all for different situations, which keeps me dry, but are just as stealthy as a tube.  AT 67, I have no desire to get in a float tube anymore.
The enemy of Good is Better

Offline chunting

• Foam Spider
  • Cliff Huntington
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 02:55:03 PM »
You a braver man than I.  I never had the desire to dangle my feet under a tube in gator country.  :)

"It is not possible to get in and out of a float tube in deep water (although I once boarded a boat in open water--tube and all--after an encounter with a ten foot alligator)..."  Jack Ellis

Mine had one of those "quick release" seats which was prone to "quick release" if you shifted your weight.  Fortunately my arms prevented me from disappearing into the depths on more than one occasion.   

Offline qualey99

• Foam Spider
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 01:01:13 PM »
Cliff, Back in the 50's and 60's, I was on the water at least 300 days a year doing something in Bayou Desiard.  We lived on the bayou, and in the 4th grade, I had my own 12 ft jon boat with a 9.5hp Johnson.  It would fly.  In all those years, I never saw a single gator during daylight hours.  But when we would go frogging at night in the spring and summer, it was not unusual to see 15 to 20 gators in every size imaginable.  We swam, skied, and fished in that water, and never once gave the gators a second thought.

In Shreveport, Cross Lake, and Cyprus/Black Bayou are probably the most popular skiing lakes, and both are full of gators well over 12 ft long, as attested by the annual tags for gators that are filled on each of these lakes.  I guess growing up with them, we were just used to their presence.
The enemy of Good is Better

Offline Flyfish

• Foam Spider
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 06:01:37 PM »
Back in the day, we'd place a #3 galvanized wash tub in a tractor tire tube, put a board across the top of the tub. It got us just about anywhere we needed and could not turn it over.