Author Topic: Wildfire help  (Read 667 times)

Offline Missedagain

• Brim Bug
Wildfire help
« on: December 23, 2016, 08:28:15 PM »
I have a couple of outfits collecting dust.  I would like to donate them to someone who lost their gear in the recent East Tennessee wildfire or anyone else in need.  Does anyone know of anyone in need or an organization that may help me find someone?

Offline Mbarker68x

• Foam Spider
  • Mike
Re: Wildfire help
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 10:04:50 PM »
Project Healing waters. I'm always lending my rods to people that are just getting into fly fishing. We have rods for the participants to use, it's just more convient to not drive to go get them when I have mine readily available. There should be a chapter near you, you could send them to me, or go to projecthealingwaters.org and there is a link to donate as well.
Do it with 3wt and below! It's a lot of fun.

Offline Missedagain

• Brim Bug
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 09:41:35 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion; I sent them an e-mail this morning.

Merry Christmas to all.

Offline Troutman

• Brim Bug
  • Gary Troutman
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 09:28:43 AM »
As far as I know, Chad Fouts, a local Fly shop manager and guide at Smoky Mtn Angler in Gatlinburg, was the only Fly fisherman I have heard in the community, that lost everything. A you caring account was set up within a couple of days after the fires to help him. He rented his house up there, but unfortunately, did not have any renters insurance. He has received a little over 8K in the account so far, and has found another place to live. Thankfully, the fly shop was spared in the fires, and the owners, Chad, and all the other guides and employees who work there still have a job. The fires got to within 10 ft of the building.  I think that he has been given replacement equipment from several of the fly fishing manufacturer reps he buys from, and lots of donated items from friends. I know a lot of the local fly fishing anglers in the area since I live here, and he is the only one that I have heard of that lost his stuff in the fires.
I think donating it to project healing waters is a good idea. 

Chad's Instagram page is tn_onthefly.
He posted a few pictures of what was left of his place and there is a link to the you care account if anyone wants to help him get back on his feet. He is a good guy, and I know he is very appreciative.