Author Topic: Sulphur Creek, Lampasas TX.  (Read 901 times)

Offline Mbarker68x

• Foam Spider
  • Mike
Sulphur Creek, Lampasas TX.
« on: December 13, 2016, 02:09:52 PM »
I decided to head back to Sulphur Creek today. I got a late start doing some honey do stuff around the house. Finished up and was on the water by 9. I was armed with my Tenkara rod instead on my 3wt BVK. It worked out pretty good. I initially had on a Briminator and a gunslinger nymph trying for a few of the stocked trout. They stocked 500 Rainbows a little over a week ago. The power alters were not having any luck either. Fished out. So not wanting to rerig I adjusted my position and fished below the lower spillway. Wise choice turned out to be a great day. Briminator and squirmy wormy were the hot flies. I tied on the worm after I snagged the bottom with the gunslinger.

Do it with 3wt and below! It's a lot of fun.

Offline Flydude

• Foam Spider
  • Thomas
Re: Sulphur Creek, Lampasas TX.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 09:09:19 AM »
Looks like you had a great day fishing Mike and caught some nice colorful and healthy looking fish.
May the sun always shine and the wind be to your back, Thomas

Offline chunting

• Foam Spider
  • Cliff Huntington
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 12:50:11 PM »
Did you catch both largemouth and spotted bass? 

I bet the bass were sporty on that rod.  :)

Offline Mbarker68x

• Foam Spider
  • Mike
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 08:38:18 AM »
Thank you, Cliff, you know I'm not sure. All the bass get lumped into to categories for me. LArge mouth and small mouth. just like the gills, all get lumped into the panfish family. Growing up broke into fly fishing in Oregon for trout, salmon and steelhead. So never really bothered to learn all the different spieces. One of these days lol I'll sit down and figure it out.

Offline chunting

• Foam Spider
  • Cliff Huntington
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 09:17:13 PM »
It looked like the last two bass photos were spotted bass. The other looked to be largemouth.  Don't take that to the bank because photos are difficult to judge sometimes.  The next time you catch bass there, reach in and rub the top of their tongue.  If you find a rough patch on the tongue its a spotted bass.  The largemouth's tongue will be smooth.  I was just curious.

Offline Mbarker68x

• Foam Spider
  • Mike
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 07:38:17 PM »
Will do, any way to tell the difference between black bass, Guadalupe bass? we have all 4 around in the waters I fish.