Author Topic: Favorite Glass  (Read 1077 times)

Offline Lotech Joe

• Lotech Joe
  • Brim Bug
  • Joe Sanders
Favorite Glass
« on: November 17, 2016, 10:34:10 AM »
I started fishing with hand me down bamboo about 60 years ago. In the late 90's I migrated to graphite, and I enjoyed it a lot. In between those two I dabbled a bit with fiberglass, but not extensively. In the last 5 years I've been playing with fiberglass again and I can't seem to put them down. Currently, I've been fishing an old 8 1/2' - 7 weight Fenwick with a Pflueger Medalist reel, an Eagle Claw 7' - 6 weight with another Medalist, and a custom built Angler's Roost 7 1/2' - 4 weight that I've up lined with a Peach WF5F on an older Orvis Battenkill Disc. That one is my favorite, although I built a 6' - 4 weight that I'm looking forward to using for Crappie and Bluegills. Do you fish any glass? And if so, what are our go to rods?
Your destination is less important than the way you take the steps

Offline Flydude

• Foam Spider
  • Thomas
Re: Favorite Glass
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 06:24:01 AM »
Hi Joe,

I have over 20 fly rods made of various materials, but one of my very favorites is an old Shakespeare. It is an Alpha series fiberglass, 6'-6" Light Action and I just love it for Brim and Crappie. Some days I will plan a fishing trip and only take this rod and a 4-wt, 8-ft that I made many years ago. I have some "special" spots on the lake where I know that both Brim and Crappie will be glad to take a fly and I can spend most of the day right there. To me it just doesn't get any better than that.
May the sun always shine and the wind be to your back, Thomas

Offline Sean-NOLA

• Foam Spider
  • Sean Gilthorpe
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 05:39:50 PM »
It's hard to beat the Cabela's CGR rods!
The best fish to catch???  Is the one on the end of your line!!!

Offline Linecaster43

• Foam Spider
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 08:10:42 AM »
CGR 2 weight, what a beaut.

Offline Pondhopper Lee

• Popper
  • Lee
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 07:31:17 PM »
I love the glass rods.I have an old Eagle Claw WM Starfire rod that is late 70's i think.It is a 2 pc 7 1/2 ft 7wt.It is like a super super slow rod but will cast like a dream.I take it with me sometimes just to have fun with and when i get to using it i don't want to put it down..