Author Topic: A couple hours on a South Carolina pond.  (Read 1195 times)

Offline chunting

• Foam Spider
  • Cliff Huntington
A couple hours on a South Carolina pond.
« on: November 09, 2016, 01:46:07 PM »
I'm a little bored being on house arrest recovering from foot surgery so I decided to see if I could figure out how to post a few words and a photo. Here goes.

Two weeks ago I was in South Carolina on my annual bowhunting and fishing trip at a friend's property on the Savannah River.  We traditionally have a great fish fry on Wednesday evening with fish caught from one of several ponds on the property.  These ponds hold heavy populations of large copper nose, redear and black crappie that are rarely targeted, as bass are the main attraction.  Our host told us to keep all bass under three pounds and all panfish.  I took off one afternoon and found space in a friend's boat and we poked around for a couple hours before dark collecting fillets, me with a five weight and him with a light spinning rod.  My final tally was three bass, four nice copper nose and 13 black crappie taken on a small streamer I tie.  My friend tallied 15 black crappie. 

Online Flydude

• Popper
  • Thomas
Re: A couple hours on a South Carolina pond.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 02:06:24 PM »
Cliff that is a beautiful stringer of fish.
May the sun always shine and the wind be to your back, Thomas

Offline Catch

• Global Moderator
  • Foam Spider
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 10:20:00 PM »
Nice, Cliff.   What fly were the crappie hitting?

Offline chunting

• Foam Spider
  • Cliff Huntington
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 12:56:43 AM »
Its a fly I tie to get a small bluegill profile.  This is one of the three original I first tied and its been a good producer of small bass, crappie and big bluegill in ponds, particularly in the spring.  I mix and match colors but maintain the same profile.  This day I began using one that had white instead of the black hackle shown here.  I only had one with white hackle and lost it on a log after catching some fish and replaced it with one like is shown here.  The fish didn't seem to mind.  The feathers tend to compress when pulled and flair out when stopped.

I tie it on a #8 Allen 60 degree, barbless jig hook.   

Online Flydude

• Popper
  • Thomas
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 10:49:20 AM »
Really nice looking fly and a great photo. Is the hook you are using this number J100BL - Jig, Nymph, Barbless, Thin Wire Hook. I found this on Allen's web site.
Thanks,
Thomas

Offline chunting

• Foam Spider
  • Cliff Huntington
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 03:16:56 PM »
That's it.  I wished they made it in a #6.  The S402BL is a barbless Nymph hook that comes in a #6.  I used it regularly.   

Online Flydude

• Popper
  • Thomas
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 03:28:31 PM »
Thanks Cliff, they have a lot of nice hooks so I will put together an order.

Offline mudfish

• Brim Bug
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 06:59:58 PM »
Hey Cliff,  They look delicious!  Nice stringer.

Online Flydude

• Popper
  • Thomas
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 07:05:58 AM »
Hey again Cliff,

Thanks for the tying info. I like the hooks and also wanted some a bit larger and found these :

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/j.-stockard-j2-604-jig-hook

They are not barbless but the barb can be closed before tying, so I went ahead and order some in a size 6.

Online Flydude

• Popper
  • Thomas
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 08:24:31 AM »
Really nice looking fly and a great photo. Is the hook you are using this number J100BL - Jig, Nymph, Barbless, Thin Wire Hook. I found this on Allen's web site.
Thanks,
Thomas

Hey again Cliff,

I tied several flies on the size 6 hooks from Stockard and attaching a photo of a BeauxJangles. The eye opening on the Stockard hooks are 90 degrees from the shank, whereas on the Allen hooks they are inline with the shank. I actually like the Allen hooks more for that reason. I tie my flies on with a Loop Knot so I’m not sure that it really makes any difference other than maybe in the smaller sizes.