Author Topic: What flies are you tying?  (Read 93 times)

Offline Flydude

• Popper
  • Thomas
What flies are you tying?
« on: February 10, 2018, 04:16:30 AM »
G’ day to everyone,

Although the weather has been too cold and unsettled here on Sam Rayburn Lake to do any Fly Fishing of late, I have been tying up a lot of flies to get ready for Spring. I generally start each year using mostly wet flies and as the water warms up begin using more dry flies. As the Perch slowly move out of the deeper waters up into the shallows, I enjoy getting some of the first surface strikes.

I tie up a lot of non-traditional patterns, in other words, flies that just “look good”. For an example, I tie a dry fly that is kind-of-like a Drake Spinner / or Pale Spinner but leave off the tail. I don’t consider this to be an original pattern because I might tie up 6 at a time and each one be slightly different from the others. I will also tie up some more with a tail and each one will be slightly different but still not true to the traditional pattern.

I am curious if you have a non-traditional wet or dry fly pattern that you tie up each year that produces good results with the Perch family.

Have a great day,
Thomas

I am adding 2 photos; one of the Dry Fly and the second of some mixed flies that I tied this week. The Dry Fly is tied using Polypropylene Floating Yarn for the body and the wings, instead of a dubbing material. Tied on a size 10 hook; TMC-101.
May the sun always shine and the wind be to your back, Thomas

Offline Flydude

• Popper
  • Thomas
Re: What flies are you tying?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 06:03:59 AM »
Hello again everyone,

I have been at the fly tying bench some of this week tying up almost 100 more flies of all shapes and configurations. I am attaching photos of a few patterns both standard and non-standard: example Wooly Bugger tied on a Jig Hook some with eyes an some not: Wooly Bugger tied on a standard size 8 hook 2x long, with and without eyes: Some size 8 dry flies with various locations for the Hackle: Some size 8 Tenkara flies: Some small "bug" flies.

All of these flies / patterns have produced good catches in the past for me in the colors shown and a mix of various other colors.

Hopefully Spring weather is just around the corner and we can all get out and do a lot of Fly Fishing.

Have a great day,
Thomas
May the sun always shine and the wind be to your back, Thomas