Author Topic: North Georgia Reunion.  (Read 286 times)

Offline chunting

• Foam Spider
  • Cliff Huntington
North Georgia Reunion.
« on: August 20, 2017, 12:31:06 PM »
Although my wife and I have fly fished on and off for trout over the years in the Ellijay area, I'd not fished any of the myriad small, mountain streams in the lower reaches holding populations of native redeye and Alabama spotted bass for almost 50 years.  I'd made a commitment last year I would remedy that on a future trip back to Georgia while visiting an aging parent.  Garner Reid of Cohutta Fly Fishing Co. knew of my desire to get back up there and asked if I wanted to take a hike up near the Tennessee border.  Game on.

We met up before daylight in Cartersville, loaded my gear in Garner's vehicle and pointed north for the hour and some drive to a deserted trail head.  I grabbed my 5wt and fanny pack and fell in behind Garner who was already headed downstream along a trail.  On the way down we stopped at vantage points along the way and observed quite a number of redeye and spots lying in tops and cruising rock piles. 

Forty five minutes later we stopped at our first fishing spot.  From here we would work our way back up stream fishing. 

I took the time to just sit a spell, enjoying scents and sounds that brought back old memories.  The river here was noisy and gin clear, making it easy to underestimate the depth. 

I started off wading a sandy ridge down the middle of the river casting to each bank.  As I moved upstream I noticed what looked like a large gar resting on the bottom ahead of me.  As it turned out, my eyes hadn't failed and I eased close enough to poke it with my 8.5' rod before it exploded out of there.  One had the sensation of being in an aquarium as two species of bass, redhorse sucker and redbreast sunfish swam by periodically.  We didn't catch a great number of fish nor any large ones.  There were so many instances we located larger bass from the trail and Garner would stay to spot for me and I just could not get in a position to cast to them due to deep water or obstructions.

The Alabama spotted bass here are long, lean and brightly marked. 

The redeye have a reputation for aggressiveness and we weren't disappointed.  This four incher bit off more than it could chew.

On the way back out we stopped again at a rock pile along a deep bank and watched some really nice bass cruising around.  I gave up on trying to find a way down to position casting to these fish.  I told Garner, being much younger and athletic than I, "give it a shot, I'll spot for you."  He was able to get in a position but it was too close to the fish and they simply disappeared into the depths.  After a half dozen casts he gave it up and climbed back up the bank and we resumed our hike out. 

We noticed plenty of wild hog sign along the trail and on the way out we found where a bear had move a couple rotten logs lying along the trail, sign that had not been there when we hiked down.  One of the most pleasurable day I've spent on the water in some time.  I'll be back.

Offline breamchaser

• Foam Spider
  • John A. Snyder
Re: North Georgia Reunion.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 09:09:39 AM »
Thanks for sharing this trip with those of us that did not get to go with you. Nice area and nice fishing to go with it. Thanks again and take care, John. :smile:
It's not what you do, it how you do what you do, that counts.