Author Topic: Running water fix.  (Read 168 times)

Offline chunting

• Foam Spider
  • Cliff Huntington
Running water fix.
« on: August 02, 2017, 02:08:27 AM »
Due to factors beyond my control, fishing hours this year have been the least since obtaining my driver's license.  By June I really needed a running water fix and emailed Allwater Guides in Austin, TX.  After an exchange of emails I was booked with Alvin DeDeaux for July.  Yes, I know, mid July in the Texas Hill Country isn't the best time for sampling the lower Colorado's largemouth and Guadalupe bass, but heck, I was in desperate straits.  With afternoon temperatures exceeding 100 degrees I went with Alvin's recommendation of a half day.

Alvin surveying a channel around an island.  Few fish it due to its difficulty in navigating and casting in tight quarters.

Alving pulling and I pushing.

Pretty water.

Biologists engaged in Guadalupe bass and blue sucker studies.  They were shocking and tagging. 

The Guadalupe bass were a no show but a number of nice largemouth decided to come out and play.

I enjoyed my first jet boat ride and was amazed at the skinny water we zipped over.  The only folks we encountered on the river were the biologists.  The lower Colorado is a great bass fisheries with a chance at largemouth up to eight pounds and Guadalupe of record book size[three pounds] on topwater.  I will definitely be back for a couple of days during prime time.  :) 

A variety of poppers and subsurface offerings will take nice fish but nothing beats bass blasting topwater.  I began with a yellow Stealth Bomber tied on a #4 Gamakatsu B10S and caught a largemouth on the first cast.  Later I switched to a #4 Greenish Booglebug.  The largemouth I caught were split pretty evenly between the two poppers.   

Offline Flydude

• Foam Spider
  • Thomas
Re: Running water fix.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 09:40:57 AM »
Hey Cliff,

I am sure you are like me, just being on the Colorado is a joy and experience within itself. Nice bass also.

Thomas
May the sun always shine and the wind be to your back, Thomas

Offline Rick Z

• Foam Spider
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 03:07:46 PM »
Looks like you had some fun.
Rick

Offline Pondhopper Lee

• Popper
  • Lee
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 07:53:08 AM »
Very nice bass and beautiful river there.