Author Topic: Nolan Creek, Downtown Belton TX.  (Read 534 times)

Offline Mbarker68x

• Foam Spider
  • Mike
Nolan Creek, Downtown Belton TX.
« on: July 17, 2017, 11:19:30 PM »
Well, has been a pretty busy week for me. Six days working third shift, yard work, fixing things around the house, on the market. Packing to deliver a load of furniture for the wife and daughter's that are in VA currently. Will be making a trip the first week of august when they move into the house. For those that do not know, I retired out of FT Carson Colorado, and moved back to Killeen Tx where my house is located. My wife followed me for my last 14 years, and wanted to go home. So being the man that I am, turn about is fair play so I said let's do it. The only thing keeping me here is the house, giving it until December before I pull it off the market and list it for rent. Well enough about that, I snuck out for a bit this afternoon. Grabbed my 2wt Finesse, my lanyard with a couple of flies and headed out. Fish were plentiful, not large by any means, but a whole lot of fun.

Shot of the creek

Started out with a bead chain rio getter that I tied up last weekend, lost it on a submerged tree limb, so I switched up to a somewhat traditional dry fly that I don't know if it has a name. Sort of a royal coachman, but the wing material is turkey flats.
Do it with 3wt and below! It's a lot of fun.

Offline Flydude

• Foam Spider
  • Thomas
Re: Nolan Creek, Downtown Belton TX.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 05:15:30 AM »
Mike that looks like a great fun day with a good catch. That water is beautiful and really "fishy" looking.
May the sun always shine and the wind be to your back, Thomas

Offline Pondhopper Lee

• Popper
  • Lee
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 04:12:28 PM »
Congrats on the retirement!
Nice stream and beautiful fish.We have several creeks here just like that one.A couple are great smallmouth waters and it's funny that you really don't see many fish until you cast a fly then they rush out of the shadows to get it.I had not seen the rio getter fly until your post and that is one good looking buggy fly.I looked for a recipe and tying instructions but can't seem to find one.There are many pics online so maybe i can figure it out.I will have to put several in the panfish box. :smile:

LEE

Offline Mbarker68x

• Foam Spider
  • Mike
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 07:50:07 PM »
Lee, I was never able to find a video or recipe for one either, tied a few up from pictures with a few tweaks that I added. Flash, bead chain eyes instead of the lead or brass barbell eyes. And single legs instead of the double.

Offline Pondhopper Lee

• Popper
  • Lee
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 06:11:54 PM »
Mike,Thanks for posting the close up photo and your tweaks.I should be able to tie a few now or at least get them close. :smile:

Offline Mbarker68x

• Foam Spider
  • Mike
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 08:06:41 PM »
If I get the opertunity I'll post the recipe for the original and my version and do a step by step over in the fly tying section on my next set off.