Author Topic: 2wt setup  (Read 932 times)

Offline Pondhopper Lee

• Popper
  • Lee
2wt setup
« on: July 13, 2017, 08:58:00 PM »
I recently got a custom 2wt rod.Have not purchased a line for it yet and have no idea what to get but was wondering what leader to use with the 2wt line.Line will be something WFF.
I fish with a 5wt most of the time for panfish and tie my own leaders.I tie a twisted mono leader and also tie a tapered leader that works fair but i have no idea what formula to use tying a leader for a 2 wt line.
Do you guys tie your own leaders or do you just use a straight mono or fluoro line for a leader and tie a perfection loop to connect to the fly line?
I can probably experiment with my own leaders and figure one out that works but thought maybe some of you had a formula that you use.

Also looking for a line.Does anyone use the cheap ebay lines and do they work ok?
Thank's.

LEE

Offline Flydude

• Foam Spider
  • Thomas
Re: 2wt setup
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 05:37:08 AM »
Hi Lee,

Just from my own personal experience, there is no substitute for a quality named brand fly line. I have found that the cheep ones are very inconsistent with their weight along the length and thus float/sink uneven and just do not cast very well. I'm not saying you have to spend $100.00 for a good fly line.

I do 95% of my fly fishing with a 4-wt or smaller and have found a bit of experimenting with the leader with the type ( wet, dry, large or small, etc. ) fly makes for a better casting result. Mr. Bill Hugel taught me how to make furled leaders and I used them for a long time. But I have gone back to a single "mono" or fluorocarbon leader. You can find some very small diameter line and yet have a good test weight.

I use a lot of .012" dia, 10-pound test, fluorocarbon and it works great for most of my largest flies and the (for me and my old eyes) smallest flies.

Hope this will help some,

PS: keep the photos and fishing reports coming
May the sun always shine and the wind be to your back, Thomas

Offline Pondhopper Lee

• Popper
  • Lee
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 12:19:12 PM »
Hi Lee,

Just from my own personal experience, there is no substitute for a quality named brand fly line. I have found that the cheep ones are very inconsistent with their weight along the length and thus float/sink uneven and just do not cast very well. I'm not saying you have to spend $100.00 for a good fly line.

I do 95% of my fly fishing with a 4-wt or smaller and have found a bit of experimenting with the leader with the type ( wet, dry, large or small, etc. ) fly makes for a better casting result. Mr. Bill Hugel taught me how to make furled leaders and I used them for a long time. But I have gone back to a single "mono" or fluorocarbon leader. You can find some very small diameter line and yet have a good test weight.

I use a lot of .012" dia, 10-pound test, fluorocarbon and it works great for most of my largest flies and the (for me and my old eyes) smallest flies.

Hope this will help some,

PS: keep the photos and fishing reports coming

Thanks for responding Flydude.

I agree there is no substitute.I get a small VA check each month and simply can't afford the quality brand name most of the time.In my fishing situations i usually don't cast a great distance and i am used to the cheap line.I would not know how to act with a quality name brand line on my rod. :smile:

Thanks for the leader advise.I will probably just use a single mono or fluoro leader also.I may play with tying some sort of tapered leader in the future.I have never tried a furled leader but i hear they work well also.As long as the fly turns over good and lands softly thats good enough for me.

Thanks,

LEE

Offline Mike Herbster

• Foam Spider
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 10:24:32 PM »
Hi Lee. I would suggest a cortland 333 line in 3 wt for short distances. I like the slick coating they have and they are around $30 or so.

Offline Linecaster43

• Foam Spider
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 12:16:48 AM »
A hand twisted furled leader will work well on the 2 weight. Use 4lb line to twist up the leader.

Offline Mike Herbster

• Foam Spider
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 12:29:36 AM »
Check on eBay for a seller named danddbaits. He has some 333 1st 3 wt cortland and 2wt dt hook and hackle for $15 shipped. I'm gonna pick up a couple myself.

Offline qualey99

• Foam Spider
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 10:42:00 AM »
I use a hand twisted leader on my 2 wt rod made from 6 lb mono, then 6 pound tippet.  This turns #8 poppers over very nicely.  I also over line with a 3 wt WFF Rio line.
The enemy of Good is Better

Offline Pondhopper Lee

• Popper
  • Lee
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 08:06:55 PM »
Hi Lee. I would suggest a cortland 333 line in 3 wt for short distances. I like the slick coating they have and they are around $30 or so.
Thanks for the advice Mike.I have used a 333 in a 6wt and it was a great line.

Check on eBay for a seller named danddbaits. He has some 333 1st 3 wt cortland and 2wt dt hook and hackle for $15 shipped. I'm gonna pick up a couple myself.
Mike i checked this site and he has really great deals more in my price range.I think i will order a line or 2 from him.
I don't have a lot of funds to spend and the lines he offers will work great for my needs.I appreciate you pointing his ebay store out to me.

A hand twisted furled leader will work well on the 2 weight. Use 4lb line to twist up the leader.
I use a hand twisted leader on my 2 wt rod made from 6 lb mono, then 6 pound tippet.  This turns #8 poppers over very nicely.  I also over line with a 3 wt WFF Rio line.
Thanks Linecaster43 and Qualey99 for this advice.I have made hand twisted leaders for my other fly setups and i think i am going to tie up a few in different length's  in the line sizes you mentioned and just see which works best for my setup.

Offline Mike Herbster

• Foam Spider
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 10:13:50 PM »
Lee I'm gonna blame you if my wife sees the three lines I bought. :bigsmile: I was not planning to buy any but I was checking to see what prices they were and I couldn't pass that deal up. Glad I could help.

Offline Mbarker68x

• Foam Spider
  • Mike
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 02:11:13 AM »
I have a TFO Finesse 2wt that I'm using now. 3 RDP 2wts, Echo Carbon 2wt and a TFO Pro 2wt over the years. I have unlined them all to a 3wt line. Various manufacture, have had Cortland 333, 444, Clear Creek, Piscifun, Rio, Orvis, TFO(made by Cortland) and Scientific Anglers. Wish I could say the Rio, Orvis and SA were the better lines, but I can't. I'm going with the TFO WF3F line in a light olive I guess is what they are calling it. It casts the same as the 333 but has the welded loop on the front end.
Do it with 3wt and below! It's a lot of fun.

Offline Mike Herbster

• Foam Spider
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 04:49:19 AM »
It's easy to add a loop to a line. Strip the plastic coating off the first half inch of line.hold the line back on itself to the desired loop size plus about one quarter inch. Next use aim thread and bobbin to lash it togerthe. Whip finish and coat with the glue of your choice.

Offline Rick Z

• Popper
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 08:22:38 AM »
I do what Mike said but also put some heat shrink tubing on it.

Rick

Offline Flydude

• Foam Spider
  • Thomas
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 08:53:56 AM »
Hey everyone,

I also do that process and on heavier line I will use a blood-knot, trim the extra and then coat with glue.
May the sun always shine and the wind be to your back, Thomas

Offline Pondhopper Lee

• Popper
  • Lee
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 08:25:18 PM »
Lee I'm gonna blame you if my wife sees the three lines I bought. :bigsmile: I was not planning to buy any but I was checking to see what prices they were and I couldn't pass that deal up. Glad I could help.
HaHa! My wife seen me looking at the website and asked why i need more line.I did order a line with the backing from him.Can't wait to get it on the water and try the rod out.

Offline Pondhopper Lee

• Popper
  • Lee
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 08:28:54 PM »
I have a TFO Finesse 2wt that I'm using now. 3 RDP 2wts, Echo Carbon 2wt and a TFO Pro 2wt over the years. I have unlined them all to a 3wt line. Various manufacture, have had Cortland 333, 444, Clear Creek, Piscifun, Rio, Orvis, TFO(made by Cortland) and Scientific Anglers. Wish I could say the Rio, Orvis and SA were the better lines, but I can't. I'm going with the TFO WF3F line in a light olive I guess is what they are calling it. It casts the same as the 333 but has the welded loop on the front end.
Thats interesting Mike.I would have thought with the rod being so light,a 3wt line would be too heavy.Did you overline them just for distance or is there something else to gain by using the 3wt line?