Author Topic: Fishing in central kentucky  (Read 536 times)

Offline Pondhopper Lee

• Popper
  • Lee
Fishing in central kentucky
« on: July 08, 2017, 04:23:57 PM »
Went to one of the local lakes.Hard rain on and off all week.The lake was very muddy but managed to catch a few dinky bass.
Fished around a fallen ceder tree and caught a couple shellcrackers and small bluegills.I can see the beds around the edges of the water but no bluegill around them.
Caught the bass casting small black zonkers.The redear and gills were on small poppers.
I tried to load photos with this post but the attachments seemed to do nothing.
Maybe i was not using it right.

Offline Pondhopper Lee

• Popper
  • Lee
Re: Fishing in central kentucky
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 04:49:19 PM »
I posted the photos with Flickr.
They are no trophies but still a blast to catch!
Lebanon Lake LMBass by S W, on Flickr

Offline Flydude

• Foam Spider
  • Thomas
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 02:56:33 AM »
Lee they look like the perfect catch for a light weight fly rod. The background view of the water you are fishing looks really good.
May the sun always shine and the wind be to your back, Thomas

Offline Pondhopper Lee

• Popper
  • Lee
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 06:44:02 PM »
I had the 5wt with me.They were still fun though.I would like to have a glass 3wt.Maybe someday.
The water is usually crystal clear but the rain had it really murky  around the banks.

Offline jimsentell

• Brim Bug
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 07:56:02 AM »
Pondhopper Lee,
Go to RDPflyrods.com; outstanding custom rods very inexpensive.
Jim

Offline breamchaser

• Foam Spider
  • John A. Snyder
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 09:32:38 AM »
Lee, I use a 2 or 3 wt. rod for the exact reason you showed in your pics. Folks can rave about trout and other fish on heavier weight rods, but for me 2/3 wt. is the way to go. My good friend Flyfish is the one who got me into UL fly fishing and I thanks him every time I go out and catch 'gills on a 2/3 wt. they are about as much fun as a person can have with his/her clothes on. I enjoy UL fly fishing and I don't think I'll ever go back to 8/9 wt. rods, if I want to target larger bass I'll use my 4 or 5 wt. rods. Enjoy the bass and gills. Take care, John. :smile:
It's not what you do, it how you do what you do, that counts.

Offline Pondhopper Lee

• Popper
  • Lee
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 07:46:51 AM »
Pondhopper Lee,
Go to RDPflyrods.com; outstanding custom rods very inexpensive.
Jim
Thanks Jim.I will check them out.

Offline Pondhopper Lee

• Popper
  • Lee
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 07:50:13 AM »
Lee, I use a 2 or 3 wt. rod for the exact reason you showed in your pics. Folks can rave about trout and other fish on heavier weight rods, but for me 2/3 wt. is the way to go. My good friend Flyfish is the one who got me into UL fly fishing and I thanks him every time I go out and catch 'gills on a 2/3 wt. they are about as much fun as a person can have with his/her clothes on. I enjoy UL fly fishing and I don't think I'll ever go back to 8/9 wt. rods, if I want to target larger bass I'll use my 4 or 5 wt. rods. Enjoy the bass and gills. Take care, John. :smile:
John,I got my line on the 2wt and finally got to take it to a local pond and i had a blast.To feel those little fish fighting like they did was awesome.This will quickly become my favorite rod to fish with. :smile:

Offline Flyfish

• Foam Spider
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 09:40:52 AM »
Pondhopper it's official, you're hooked and ruined for life.  Welcome to a lifestyle

Offline breamchaser

• Foam Spider
  • John A. Snyder
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 09:47:46 AM »
Flyfish, you  of all people, should know about that. You are  the one that led me down that path and again, I thank you. Take care, you two and enjoy retirement, John. :thumbup:

Offline Flyfish

• Foam Spider
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 03:26:53 PM »
John, you can't give me credit for that.  I think you were already headed in that direction on your own.  I can still hear you hollering from the hill "Who's that flyfishing in my lake?"  Scared the heck outta me.  All I could see were your uniform.....and gun!  Boy, I thought I was in some big trouble.  I can't thank you enough for your friendship and becoming a fishing partner. 

Offline breamchaser

• Foam Spider
  • John A. Snyder
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 12:30:34 PM »
Flyfish, you are very welcome, my friend. It took me a while to find out who was in that P/U truck I would see at Clear Fork Lake, but sure am glad I did. I enjoyed many evening fishing with you and Carmoletta and the fly tying lessons as well. Still tie a few Shoe Bugs now and then and they still catch fish. I have gotten Marilyn set up with a U/L spinning rod and casting bubbles, now she will be able to ''fly fish'' also. Y'all take care, John. :smile: