Author Topic: Observations and Political Correctness.  (Read 319 times)

Offline chunting

• Foam Spider
  • Cliff Huntington
Observations and Political Correctness.
« on: June 07, 2017, 08:58:07 AM »
The following is not meant to be judgmental on anyone or any practice.  It is simply my observations and thoughts.

Just curious, but it seems to be "politically correct" nowadays to provide measurements for bass in lieu of providing weights.  Of all the tables on fish "length to weight" estimates I've studied, those on largemouth bass are the most useless, particularly as length increases.  Once largemouth reach 20 inches and more, it seems a crime to not weigh the fish.  Inches simply do not do justice to a big bass.           

As far as bluegill, length is a pretty fair indicator of size until they reach 10 inches or more.  After that I'm clipping my Boga Grip on their lips.  :) I've tested our pond's bluegill measurements and weight to a popular table and found them to be fairly consistent with the table up to nine inches.  Somewhere between 10 inches and 11 inches, many bluegill pass the one pound mark and become a special fish.

Weight is still the common denominator across all fish species.  A pound is a pound.  Providing weight on fish in conversation or written communication leaves nothing for the imagination.

I understand why cold water types measure trout.  A 14 inch trout sounds a lot better than a one pound trout.  :)

Several years ago I first noticed hunters posing behind a critter such that taking the photo close with a camera, made the critter appear "way larger" than actual .  Nowadays it seems to be "the practice."  This same practice is now rampant posing fish, particularly cold water species.  Just about every fly fishing magazine cover I view these days has some dude holding the fish out as far as his/her's arms can stretch with the photographer placing the lens of the camera as close to the fish's nose as possible.  Nothing wrong with posing a fish in a manner to capture all it's size and beauty, but most what I see in the print magazines makes the fish look like something out of Jurassic Park.

One doesn't have to shell out the money for a Boga Grip, there are a variety of quality, small scales available to weigh fish when catching and releasing.  Providing a fish's weight simply makes it easier to visualize and appreciate the fish in discussion.

Offline ButchTN

• Brim Bug
Re: Observations and Political Correctness.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 03:12:35 PM »
I know what you mean bud. Every time I pick up a fly fishing magazine and they talk about the length, I'm thinking what does it weigh? I grew up fishing the standard bass tackle and the only time length mattered was if it was the tournament size limit. My largest bass to date is 6 pounds even, at 24 in. But I've seen 24in bass go 8 pounds, even if you have girth measurements with the length it's still Chinese to me. Give me the weight!

Offline breamchaser

• Foam Spider
  • John A. Snyder
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 02:14:49 PM »
Let's just be correct is the message I'm getting and it definitely works for me. I usually don't even weight or measure my catches, get them in and then release them unless they are headed to the skillet. I think most of the folks on this site are pretty up front on stuff and I'm glad to be back with this group. Take care, John. :smile:
It's not what you do, it how you do what you do, that counts.

Offline Flydude

• Foam Spider
  • Thomas
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 07:27:27 AM »
G' day to everyone,

To me length or weight is not the most important thing in fly fishing ( or to any other kind of fishing ), having fun is the most important. If you do catch some fish then that is even better. If you catch a BIG fish, then oh boy that is great. Go fishing and have fun :bigsmile:

Have a wonderful day today,
May the sun always shine and the wind be to your back, Thomas