Author Topic: Boat flooring  (Read 575 times)

Offline ButchTN

• Brim Bug
Boat flooring
« on: May 24, 2017, 02:13:52 PM »
The carpet in my aluminum rig is wore out. Was wondering if any of you guys use the roll on liner like tuff coat and what are your thoughts on it. I'm wanting some with lower maintenance than carpet but not hard on feet either. The liners come in light grey to match the old carpet so I don't think heat will be a problem. There are brands that are not super abrasive so I wouldn't think it wouldn't mess up fly lines but I don't know for sure. :o

Offline Flydude

• Foam Spider
  • Thomas
Re: Boat flooring
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 11:35:18 AM »
Hi Butch,

I had an aluminum boat that I purchased from a fellow who had the complete inside coated with that liner material. The finish was not aggressive but fairly smooth and easy to walk on barefooted. Even when wet it was not slippery. It was a light gray color and really kept the heat down and of course "sound proofed" the boat. Rather than lay my fly rods directly on the deck, I made some oak wood slats covered with thin carpet. On those I added some wide Velcro strips to hold the rods in place, worked great.

From what I have read, it is critical that your interior is completely clean and free of any dirt or oil so that you get a good bond.

You might find a business locally that can spray that in for you.

Good luck,
May the sun always shine and the wind be to your back, Thomas

Offline ButchTN

• Brim Bug
Re: Boat flooring
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 05:56:34 PM »
I've looked around some more and even though it's more maintenance I'll probably just put carpet back in. It's hard to beat the feel of super thick carpet on the feet